Women in Economics Network
The Economic Society of Australia will launch a Women in Economics Network in early 2017. Following the success of the first Women in Economics Retreat held in 2016, members of the Society identified a need for ongoing support for women in the profession.
The objectives for the network are:
- to professionally connect and support the career development of women in economics
- to increase the representation of women at all levels of the economics profession
- to promote public contributions by women economists.
The network will be open to all women affiliated with the economics profession in Australia including those in the academic, government, business and education sectors.
Some activities planned for the network include:
- organising professional development and networking events for members
- organising future Women In Economics retreats
- maintaining a register of women economists and their area of expertise for public speaking, media engagements, consulting and expert work
- establishing a mentoring program that matches junior women economists with senior counterparts in the same sector
- promoting research by female economists including a paper presentation session and/or professional development events for members at the annual ESA conference
Planning for the network is now underway. If you have any questions or would like to be involved in helping establish the network please contact Danielle Wood (Women in Economics Committee Chair) on email@example.com. More details about how to join the network and participate in its activities will be posted on this site in the coming months.