WEN Academic Career Mentoring Session
From: Wednesday February 13, 2019, 9:30 am
To: Wednesday February 13, 2019, 2:30 pm
As part of the Australian Gender Economics Workshop 2019 program, the Women in Economics Network is hosting a Academic Career Development Session. This mentoring session will provide a supportive environment for early- and mid-career female academics to discuss their professional career goals and challenges, and receive career guidance and advice from senior academics in the field of economics. All female economics academics are welcome to participate.
Topics for discussion will include:
- Challenges for women in the economics discipline and in university leadership
- Career management and building blocks to academic job promotion
- Perspectives from the inside: What are universities looking for in academic hiring and promotion decisions?
- Choosing your research topics, identifying your individual strengths, and finding your niche
- Publishing in journals: Perspectives and advice from a journal editor
- Applying for grants and fellowships
- Research impact and engagement with industry
- Communicating with the media
- Managing your intellectual property
- Balancing research, teaching and administration responsibilities
- Managing your time and obligations: Knowing when to say yes and when (and how) to say no
For more information, visit AGEW2019 Event website
Please register here for the Academic Career Development Session. There is no cost to attend this session but registrations are essential. Participants do not need to be attending the rest of AGEW, nor be researching gender economics topics, in order to attend.
RMIT University, Building 80,
445 Swanston Street, , Melbourne VIC