Young Economists Network - Debate - ONLINE ONLY
From: Thursday September 16, 2021, 6:00 pm
To: Thursday September 16, 2021, 7:00 pm
Following on from the ESA webinar 'Housing Affordability- Is the Great Australian Dream Out of Reach for Today's Young', the 2021 National Online Young Economist Network (YEN) Debate is scheduled to take place from 6pm AEST on Thursday, September 16th with the Debate topic focusing on the key question of:
'Given the better than expected economic recovery within the Australia housing sector in recent months, should the Federal Government look to implement measures (including those of a policy, regulatory, etc. nature) to lower the volume of new investment housing loans/credit to help improve housing affordability and assist in the achievement of more equitable housing and overall economic outcomes?'
So please join us for this free online event where 2020 Young Economist of the Year Professor Markus Brueckner and Qld YEN President Grace Houlihan will lead opposing Teams of young economist debate speakers from across Australia who will present their respective arguments on this pertinent issue facing many young people nationally.
The Debate will be moderated by Professor Michael McLure and there will be a quick online poll conducted at the end of the Debate to help determine the winning Debate Team.
2021 Debate Moderator: Professor Michael McLure (University of WA Economics Professor)
TEAM A: Arguing in the Affirmative (i.e. arguing in support of implementing Federal Govt. measures to curb new investment housing loans/credit)
- Team A Captain: Grace Houlihan (Qld YEN President & Economist, Qld Treasury)
- Vic Debate Speaker: Charles Cloverdale (Senior Manager Advisory & Investments, Sayers Group)
- ACT Debate Speaker: Lachlan McCall (Economist, Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade)
- Tas Debate Speaker: Himaushu Hardikar (Honours Student,University of Tasmania)
TEAM B: Arguing in the Negative (i.e. arguing against the implementation of Fed Govt. measures to curb new investment housing loans/credit)
- Team B Captain: Markus Brueckner (ANU Professor & 2020 Young Economist of the Year)
- WA Debate Speaker: Loveth Ochayi (Consultant, Nous Group)
- Vic Debate Speaker: Mingji Liu (Senior Economic Consultant, CSIRO)
- NSW Debate Speaker: Derrick Fang (Infrastructure Advisory Consultant, Ernst & Young)
Registration and Joining this Webinar
To register please book online below. The link to join this webinar will be included in your auto-generated invoice email - please look out for this and keep it safe until the webinar is due to be broadcast. Note, these emails sometimes get caught in spam folders.
Timing of this event is AEST.