Consultant | Environmental/Natural Resource Economist - Flexible Location
Shape the future wisely
Are you an environmental or natural resource economist looking to deliver great outcomes in a flexible and engaging working environment?
Marsden Jacob is a boutique economic, public policy, markets, regulation, and strategy advisory practice. We are a collaborative and values-based practice of trusted advisors, who operate on the merit of ideas, not rank.
We shape the future of Australia by positively influencing decisions in economics, public policy, regulation, and markets.
We are looking for team members to join our growing practice. We are continuously learning and developing as a firm as we draw from the experiences, knowledge and expertise of all of our staff. This is reflected in our core principles and values:
- We are highly collegiate and work on the merit of ideas and arguments, not rank.
- We recognise, celebrate and communicate our successes. We strive to develop a culture that recognises and communicates the good efforts of our team.
- We talk straight and honestly. We engage in regular constructive, open and honest two way communication throughout the firm and with our clients.
- We talk with empathy and respect, ensuring we are a positive workplace.
- We make sustained, outcome focused contributions to making Marsden Jacob a better place to work. We encourage staff to get in and create positive change by identifying opportunities and acting on them.
Marsden Jacob works flexibly. We have offices Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Adelaide and team members working remotely from overseas.
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for people who want to make a positive difference through the work they do. We are flexible on work location, and on work structure, as well as the level of role that we recruit to for this opportunity.
For this current opportunity, we are looking for you to bring post-graduate tertiary qualifications in economics (or similar degree with a major component of economic studies) with complementary studies (eg environmental management) being well regarded. You will have advanced environmental and / or natural resource economic skills. In particular, we are seeking people with experience in two or more of the following:
- Designing, implementing and analysing stated and revealed preference surveys (e.g. choice modelling, contingent valuation, and travel cost) to establish community values for the environment to support policy decision making, and as part of regulatory price submissions.
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating natural capital markets. Including working with the likes of Councils, water businesses and environmental Departments and regulators to develop offsets markets, auctions, and other market-based mechanisms.
- Designing and implementing natural capital accounts, particularly the monetary values in accounts, using the System of Environmental Economic Accounting (SEEA) framework https://eea.environment.gov.au/ across rural and urban landscapes and services.
- Conducting economic analyses, including benefit cost analyses, across a range of environmental issues, including climate change, agriculture, and coastal issues.
- Preparing Plain English reports in ppt and word, and leading client briefings (e.g. presentations, policy briefings)
- Working with our team developing proposals for new work across clients
- Whole of lifecycle project and client management
How to apply
If this sounds like a role for you, we’re looking forward to hearing from you. More information on Marsden Jacob is available by visiting us at marsdenjacob.com.au or via our LinkedIn page.
If you know someone who might be interested in this position, we’d really appreciate you flagging this opportunity with them.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Applied statistical and economic analysis for natural capital
- Applied econometrics to designing and analysing stated and/or revealed preferences surveys
- Applied experience in developing environmental markets
- Applied experience in developing natural capital accounts
- Proven data management skills and programming skills in Stata and R
- Writing and presentation skills
- Teamwork and core values
- Consulting experience and delivery
In your application, please tell us:
- A bit about yourself
- why you are interested in joining Marsden Jacob and what interests you about the position
If you’d be interested in exploring this opportunity or have questions, we’re happy to talk. Salary on offer will be negotiated, commensurate with skills and experience - we are happy to receive inquiries on this.
For any questions, please get in contact with Lisa Davidson on 0417 407 170 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to apply? Applications can be directed to email@example.com